Friday, April 14, 2017

Spotlight On: Michaela Shapiro

Meet Michaela Shapiro! She's a senior BFA in Musical Theatre this year and we know you will recognize her from some of the roles she's played in her four years at MSU. It's quite the list, but here are just a few: Sue Snell in Carrie: The Musical,  Nina in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, Gertrude McFuzz in Seussical: The Musical, Madeleine Astor in Titanic: The Musical and JC in Comic Potential. Let's get to know her!


Name: Michaela Shapiro
Hometown: St. Louis Park, Minnesota
Year/Major: Senior/Musical Theatre
Current Role: Ensemble in AIDA

How did you get your start in theatre? I began by taking ballet classes with a local company and that eventually led me to Lundstrum Center for the Performing Arts in Minneapolis. The people there really nurtured my love for musical theatre.

What's your favorite thing about theatre? I love how it promotes compassion. I also adore the community!



Michaela Shapiro as Nina in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike


What's your favorite MSU Theatre memory? Show-wise, my favorite memories here are probably being a part of Titanic: The Musical, Seussical & Carrie: The Musical. The music in Titanic is magical; I played one of my dream roles in Seussical and I sang songs with my best friends in Carrie. Pretty much everything about those three experiences was phenomenal.


Michaela Shapiro (Sue) and Daniel Lane (Tommy) in Carrie: The Musical

Mikhayla Clauson (Margaret), Michaela Shapiro (Sue) and Amanda Mai (Carrie) in Carrie: The Musical

Any advice for aspiring performers? You are always capable of more than you believe yourself to be.

Plans after graduation? I'll be in three of the shows here for Highland Summer Theatre and then leaving on a tour with National Theatre for Children in the fall with one of my very best friends, Daniel Lane!!! After that (and in between all of it), I'm going to continue auditioning and see where it takes me. Hopefully there will be lots of travel involved. And ice cream.


Michaela Shapiro (Gertrude) and Amanda Mai (Mayzie LaBird) in Seussical

Thanks for letting us get to know you Michaela! We wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors! We will miss you here, but we know you will do amazing things wherever you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment